Lint in stranger's pockets

Labels: , ,
I've never met, or spoken to Nick Dewar but he has been an artist who frequently revisits my attention and his passing has come as a shock at his young age. Along with Paul Blow, Stephen Collins and A.Richard Allen, he had become one of my favourite contemporary editorial illustrators, with work that demonstrates an admirable intellectual passion that stands out above even his excellent line and colour skills.
If any Illustrator ever wonders if their work will make a lasting impression then take this as an example. Nick's work demonstrates real dedication and love for his craft which has been inspiring to me over the past few years as a young, developing Illustrator. This is a man who I only know through his work, and his passing has still managed to have an effect on me.
We should all honour Nick as fellow Illustrators, and do him proud, by making sure we put as much thought, creativity and heart into our work as he did.
1 comments:

I've been thinking about this a lot since I heard the sad news yesterday, and I agree with everything you've said. His work will live on. He created something lasting, and the reason he was able to do this is because he put a lot of his personality and great sense of humour into his pieces, which were, of course, also technically excellent.

Looking at his work in the 3x3 Magazine of Contemporary Illustration last night and viewing his gorgeous website fills me with a desire to become even better at what I do and to push myself harder. And if a person can inspire those feelings in others, that's a great legacy.